1950’s Arrival Savvy
1. Arrive in 1950’s style- hire a local car club who features 1950’s vintage automobiles with drivers.
2. Inquire if your local police department has vintage police cars or motorcycles for a dramatic lead car.
3. If there is a local church nearby your reception venue, inquire if they can ring the church bells as you pull up to your venue.
4. Have two doormen in full attire opening the doors for you and your guests.
5. Purchase a door mans hat from your local costume/party shop and add your married monogram to the front of the hat. Also ask your doormen to wear a blacksuit/white shirt/black tie for an added effect.
1950’s Diner Decor
6. Choose colors,shapes and textures reminiscent of the 1950’s Diner- Black and White with strong accents in Red/Teal and Chrome.
7. Instead of traditional round tables, opt for intimate 4 person square tables with caned or chrome chairs.
8. Choose black and white checkered table clothes to mimic the traditional black and white tile floors traditionally found in 1950’s diners.
9. Accent your tables with cloth napkins in red or teal.
10. In lieu of flowers for the guest tables, swing back to a traditional diner table- retro chrome napkin holder, glass straw holder, chrome and glass salt and pepper shakers accented with red and yellow ketchup and mustard containers.
11. Create your own 1950’s Diner classic menu and place in a faux leather menu holder to be used on all the guest tables.
12. Place on guest tables 33 rpm record at each place setting w/ retro labels on each record to serve as a cool place mat.
13. Instead of traditional table numbers, opt for a 45 rpm record w/ the record label indicating a specific musical group of the 50’s.
14. For a great nostalgic look, rent a 1950’s diner counter w/ swivel bar stools. Check out local antique or rental stores.
15. Choose retro green glass “Coca Cola” glasses and opt for plain white china plates instead of paper or plastic.
16. Make or buy a large “DINER” or “EAT” signs that lights up.
17. Make or purchase 1950’s “pennant” signs, Coca-Cola Signs, 45 records, movie posters or nostalgic diner signs. Anything that shouts the 1950’s is fair game!
18. Rent from your local rental company 1950’s popcorn, milkshake or cotton candy machines for a nostalgic look and a yummy menu!
1950’s Reception Menu
19. Instead of a sit-down or buffet meal for your reception opt for a full line of 1950’s food in miniature format served by a waitress or waiter in full bobby sock garb.
20. Suggested fun and fabulous 1950’s Diner mini format menu-
- Mini Cheeseburgers
- French Fries in Paper Cones
- Mini Chili Dogs
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Mini Grilled Cheese wedges with Tomato Soup
- Fruit Shish kabobs
21. Suggested Diner non-alcoholic drinks served in retro green Coca Cola Glasses
- Coca Cola
- Milk Shakes
- Root beer
- Root beer Ice Cream Floats
22. Suggested Cocktails- with lots of pretty stir sticks
- Rob Roy
- Gin Tonic
- Champagne Cocktail
24. Female waitress in red flare skirts, bobby socks with saddle shoes button down sweater with a scarf at neck.
25. Make your own saddle shoes- opt for white canvas tennis shoes. Paint black in sections with fabric paint.
26. All male servers dress in white shirts with black bow ties, black pants with a white apron imprinted with “The Diner” in red and black. Top off the whole outfit with a “Soda Jerk Hat” For a great website that offers the above, check out: Prairiemoon
27. Hire actors, singers and dancers that will incorporate the 1950’s dress into their performance. Your guest will be more apt to dance when others are out on the dance floor!
28. For great alternative entertainment for guests who do not want to dance, set up a movie theater in a small portion of your venue and have a 1950’s movie playing along with hot buttery popcorn. Check out your local library for a 35 mm movie projector and movies… all for free!
30. Hire a live band dressed in 1950’s garb who play songs from the 50’s.
31. Or opt instead for a disc jockey dressed as a “greaser” to “spin the tunes”
32. To disquise electronic equipment on a table, make a “33 and 45 rpm Record Prop Screen.” Paint a 2x4x 8 piece of wood black. Glue records on the front of 2 in side , allowing 1/2 to 1/3 of the record to hang down from the front of the table. Place on front of DJ table.
33. Hang records with monofilament wire from ceiling at different heights for a cool dragster look.
34. Have 1950’s trivia tent cards on guest table for added entertainment
1950’s Candy Store Table
35. The decade that gave us Rock’N Roll and Hula Hoops also gave us some great old-fashioned candy favorites. Incorporate a true 1950’s candy store atmosphere into your wedding reception with just a few items to swing back in time and give your guest simple 50’s pleasure that never get old.
36. Purchase glass Penny Candy Jars with chrome lids. For a great variety of candy store items visit:
37. Rent a Standing Gumball machine and a peanut machine for a great old fashioned look.
38. Suggested retro 1950’s candy below… For a great selection of 1950’s candy visit: www.retroplanet.com
- Atomic Fireballs
- Pixie Sticks
- Turkish Taffy
- Bubble Gum
- Candy Necklace
- Root Beer Barrels
- Necco Wafers
- Bit O’Honey
- Tootsie Rolls
- Life Savers
- Wax Bottles
39. Use old baord games as backdrops for your “Candy Store” Purchase them online or scour flea markets or your parents attic. Suggested 1950’s popular board games:
- Easy Money
- Uncle Wiggly
40. Incorporate the game “Twister” for a tablecloth or runner for a retro look.
1950’s Retro Guest Books, Favors, Flowers and More
41. Instead of a traditional guest book, opt to enlarge your wedding invitation to poster size, mount to foam core board and place on a decorative easel for all your guests to sign.
42. Or spell out the word diner with these funky 50’s canvas letters and have all your guest sign them and give you their best wishes.See StartwithTableLetter Etsy Store
43. For fantastic 50’s guest favors try a mini gumball machine filled with colorful gumballs for each guest. See website: NicePricefavors.com
44. For a classic 1950’s ladies favor, try a ladies reproduction handkerchief in a pretty white box.
45. For a yummy food favor try a classic red and white popcorn box filled with gourmet popcorn. A great Etsy Vendor for this is: FancythatLove
46. Another great 50’s favor is a classic miniature COKE bottle key chain.
47. Give your guests a musical tribute of your wedding and the glorious 1950’s! Select several special songs from the era and burn a CD just for your special day.
47. Instead of a boring, traditional card holder for your reception, opt for a classic 1950’s style suitcase imprinted with your monogram or honeymoon destination.
48. Instead of small floral arrangements, opt for 3 or 4 large- tall retro floral arrangements to mimic a sundae with a straw and a cherry on top!
49. Why have one special dress on your wedding day when you can have two! Select a vintage 1950’s prom gown to coordinate with your color scheme. Throw in a pair of pumps and a orchid floral corsage and you are ready to jitterbug the night away with your new husband.