The Matron/Maid of Honor (MOH) is both a distinction and a task that is given by the bride. When she chooses her Maid of Honor it is because she trusts that she can rely on that person to assist throughout the wedding process. When agreeing to be the Maid of Honor it is important to understand the duties that come with the title. Understanding everything that is required will ensure that you can fulfill the needs of the the bride.
- The Matron of Honor is required to listen to and advise the bride. This task is required through the planning phase and to the end of the wedding day. The bride needs someone to bounce ideas off, help with the planning and choices and assist in times of stress. You may never know when the bride will need you for this task but make sure that you understand that she may call upon you throughout.
- The other bridesmaids are under your command. It is important to make sure that you can delegate tasks if needed during the planning stage and even on the wedding day such as picking up items, helping out with the collection of cards and gifts at the reception and making sure that the bridesmaids are ready for the wedding itself.
- The Maid of Honor pays for her own attire. She also assists the bride at dress selection and fittings and helps make sure the bridesmaids have their dresses and accessories.
- Pre-wedding duties such as helping the bride address invites, plan seating charts and assisting in decisions and options is an important duty that will help the bride get through the planning stage.
- The Maid of Honor traditionally plans and throws the bridal shower.
- Makes sure to assist in getting dressed for the ceremony and helping the bride change after the ceremony. She also takes charge of the wedding dress after the ceremony and makes sure that it is kept safe.
- During the ceremony the Maid of Honor maintains the dress train and veil for the bride.
- The Matron of Honor holds the groom’s ring for the bride.
- After the ceremony, along with the Best Man, the Maid of Honor signs the marriage certificate as a witness.
- The Maid of Honor also makes a toast after the Best Man at the reception.
Make sure that if you agree to be the Matron of Honor that you understand that the bride will rely on your advice and assistance throughout the process. She knows that she can trust you in making her day special and will rely on your friendship and abilities to make that day the best of her life.